Hamlin Lake Preservation Society

 

 

Protecting Hamlin Lake for Future Generations 

Return to Home Page <<= History <<= 1905

Locating Map

Old Map

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

               

Camp Arcadia

Captain Harsh built Arcadia in 1905.  There was a hotel with a dining room, five bedrooms, six cottages, tennis and croquet courts and a pavilion with a piano for games and dancing.  Captain Harsh operated the launch Reliance, a 50 foot boat that made four to five trips to the lower lake to pick up people daily.  He also operated a boat livery with row boats and fishing tackle and bait for sale or rent.  There was also a grocery and supply store.  Arcadia had a telephone and the daily Chicago papers. 

Arcadia was supplied fresh produce by the Barnhart farm.  Eventually Barnhart’s Store was built next to Arcadia on Barnhart Landing. 

Arcadia was called Camp Arcadia and it had a hotel, several cottages and small store with boat rentals.

 

  Hamlin Lake Preservation Society, PO Box 178, Ludington, MI 49431