(Menu Head)

Hamlin Lake Preservation Society

 

Protecting Hamlin Lake for Future Generations 

Return to Home Page <<= History <<= 1814

Photo 1

               

Charles Mears

Hamlin Township was formed in 1860. At that time, Charles Mears owned much of the land and the main industry was logging   Mears built sawmills in the Ludington area in settlements then called Little Sauble (1851) and Big Sable (1854).  These two settlements were later renamed by Mears to Lincoln and Hamlin in 1861 in honor of the successful Republican Presidential ticket.  Mears served in the Michigan senate and was a member of the Republican Party.   He was a personal friend to Abraham Lincoln and had the town he lived in near Ludington renamed to "Lincoln."

See this Wikipedia reference for more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Mears#cite_ref-cabot1_3-4

 

  Hamlin Lake Preservation Society, PO Box 178, Ludington, MI 49431